A house that lacks proper ventilation is more susceptible to moisture problems. Moisture problems and water damage create environments where mold thrives and can grow rapidly. Being exposed to mold can have detrimental effects on your health. Here are the most toxic molds that can be found in your home:
Commonly known as black mold, Stachybotrys is thought to be the most hazardous mold that can be found indoors. Stachybotrys produces mycotoxins – these are toxins that can potentially be harmful to your health. If exposed to Stachybotrys’ toxins for prolonged periods of time, a variety of serious health effects may be experienced. Stachybotrys has been known to cause respiratory problems, hemorrhaging, internal organ damage, mental impairment, nausea, tiredness, immune system suppression, and can possibly be fatal. Exposure to Stachybotrys can be particularly hazardous for young children and the elderly. Stachybotrys grows in warm, wet climates. The mold is a thick, wet, and slimy substance that is a greenish-black color. The main causes of Stachybotrys indoors is poor air quality and water damage. To prevent Stachybotrys from growing in your home, contact services for crawlspace ventilation in Lafayette, Indiana. If you think Stachybotrys is in your home, it is crucial to have professional assistance in removing it. Stachybotrys is very difficult to remove. If improper techniques are used to try and remove it, large amounts of mycotoxins can be released.
Chaetomium is a mold that can be found indoors and produces mycotoxins that can be detrimental to your health. Exposure to the mycotoxins produced from Chaetomium can cause worsened allergy symptoms, i.e. wheezing, coughing, sneezing, and watery eyes. Other, more serious effects, are also possible. Chaetomium has been linked to permanent DNA damage, permanent neurological damage, cancer, and can potentially be fatal. These mycotoxins can also cause long-term damage and possible infertility if the reproductive tract is affected. Initially, Chaetomium is a white color, but as the colony matures, it becomes a grayish olive color. The mold thrives in areas that have consistent moisture. When Chaetomium is found in your house, it is likely an indication of a previous or current moisture problem. Chaetomium can be prevented by controlling moisture with proper ventilation. For assistance in improving ventilation, contact services for crawlspace ventilation in Lafayette, Indiana.
Exposure to Aspergillus can be particularly detrimental to people with asthma or cystic fibrosis. When an individual with asthma or cystic fibrosis has an allergic reaction to Aspergillus, it is called aspergillosis. The symptoms of aspergillosis are fever, coughing up blood or mucus, and worsened asthma. Aspergillus mold can also cause aspergilloma, which is a condition where a “fungus ball” grows in your lung cavities. Over time, this condition can worsen and become invasive pulmonary aspergillosis. With invasive pulmonary aspergillosis, the condition spreads from your lungs to other organs, such as the brain, heart, kidneys, or skin. Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis is the most severe case and is often fatal if it is left untreated. Aspergillus commonly grows in oxygen-rich environments that have water or moisture damage. Ventilation can be used to control moisture, and thus prevent Aspergillus colonies from forming. For help preventing mold growth, contact services for crawlspace ventilation in Lafayette, Indiana.
Contact Crawlspace Remediation for assistance with mold removal and prevention!